All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.22
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.37
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.74
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $45.72
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.26
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.07
- AU $49.56Trending at AU $56.21
About this product
- DescriptionA decade into its hard-won democracy, South Africa and its ruling party, the ANC, have been through turbulent times. Confrontation between Thabo Mbeki, and his then deputy, Jacob Zuma; the dismissal of Zuma as Deputy; Zuma's defeat of Mbeki in ANC presidential elections and the recall of Mbeki as South African president are events that left many ANC cadres politically and emotionally aghast. Were these events the result of personal enmity? Was it the beginning of the break-up of the broad church that the ANC had become to unite all forces in the struggle against apartheid? Or did the roots lie in the global dynamic that allowed South Africa its freedom as the Cold War cooled? Written in an anecdotal and cinematic style, Songs and Secrets explores these questions through the viewfinder of a former high-ranking member of the ANC's secret intelligence wing. It follows the author into the ANC's military camps in Angola; to Moscow for spycraft training; to the underground in Botswana and into leadership positions in the administration of the new government. Gilder's frank memoir explores the personal, political, psychological and historical realities that gave birth to the new South Africa, in particular the oft-igred conditions in which the ANC government tried to turn apartheid around.
- Author BiographyBarry Gilder was born in South Africa in 1950. He went into exile in 1976, composed and sang struggle songs at anti-apartheid events in Europe and elsewhere, and served in the ANC's intelligence structures until his return to South Africa in 1991. He later became deputy head of the South African Secret Service. He is currently Director of Operations at the Mapungubwe Institute for Strategic Reflection, a policy think tank set up by former senior leaders in the democratic government.
- Author(s)Barry Gilder
- PublisherC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication01/11/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintC Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight607 g
- Width218 mm
- Height150 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.