All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionClearly Francis Gilbert is a gifted and charismatic teacher. Philip Pullman, former teacher and author of Northern Lights. Why did William Blake call his book of poetry Songs of Incence and Experience ? Why do some critics say his poem The Tyger is about the French revolution? Why did he illustrate his poems with pictures? Why is Blake's rose sick ? What is the youthful harlot's curse in the famous poem London ? This is the ultimate study guide to William Blake's classic poetry collection Songs of Incence and Experience. Written by an experienced teacher and author, it t only contains all of the relevant verse, but also includes substantive comprehension questions and thorough analysis of every poem. Furthermore, there are sections which discuss Blake's life and the context of his work in depth, the poetic techniques he deployed, and how students can gain a good grade when writing essays on him. Above all, this guide is Blakean in spirit; it provides links to the author's video explanations and performed versions of the poems. While it is highly informative -- offering all the analysis required to gain a top mark in an exam or coursework -- it also aims to provoke a genuinely personal response to the poems.
- Author BiographyFrancis Gilbert has taught for over twenty years in various state schools, but has also worked at certain points as a journalist, novelist and social commentator. He is the author of I'm A Teacher, Get Me Out Of Here! Yob Nation, Parent Power, Working The System, and The Last Day Of Term. In his role as an English teacher and lecturer, he has taught many texts over the years and has devoted a great deal of time to making resources on them. He has written study guides on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and Robert Louis Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Most recently, he has published Star-crossed: Romeo and Juliet For Teenagers and How to get a great English degree: a guide for undergraduates, both available in paperback and for Kindle on Amazon. He is the co-founder, with Melissa Benn and Fiona Millar, of The Local Schools Network (www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk), a blog that celebrates non-selective state schools, and also has his own website, www.francisgilbert.co.uk. He has appeared numerous times on radio and TV and is known for his robust defence of his ideas. He currently teaches part-time in a comprehensive in outer London and is completing a PhD in Creative Writing and Education at Goldsmiths College, London.
- Author(s)MR Francis Jonathan Gilbert,MR William Blake
- Date of Publication29/10/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectStudy Skills & General Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight259 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.