All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $7.52Trending at AU $8.17
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.65
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.29
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.74
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $27.99
About this product
- DescriptionOffering the widest scope of any study of one of popular music's most important eras, Songs of the Vietnam Conflict treats both anti-war and pro-government songs of the 1960s and early 1970s, from widely kwn selections such as Give Peace a Chance and Blowin' in the Wind to a variety of more obscure works. These are songs that permeated the culture, through both recordings and performances at political gatherings and concerts alike, and James Perone explores the complex relationship between music and the society in which it is written. This music is t merely an indicator of the development of the American popular song; it both reflected and shaped the attitudes of all who were exposed to it. Whereas in previous wars, musicians rallied behind the government in the way of Aaron Copland and Samuel Barber, the Vietnam conflict provoked anger, frustration, and rage, all of which comes through in the songs of the time. This reference work provides indispensable coverage of this phemen, in chapters devoted to Anti-War Songs, Pro-Government Songs, and what might be called Plight-of-the-Soldier (or Veteran) songs. A selected discography guides the reader to the most table recordings, all of which, together, provide a unique and important perspective on perhaps the 20th century's most contentious time.
- Author BiographyJAMES PERONE is Associate Professor of Music at Mount Union College, and the author of many books on music, including Paul Simon: A Bio-Bibliography (Greenwood, 2000), Carole King: A Bio-Bibliography (Greenwood, 1999), and Orchestration Theory: A Bio-Bibliography (Greenwood, 1996).
- Author(s)James E. Perone
- Date of Publication30/08/2001
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleMusic Reference Collection
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.