All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $40.19Trending at AU $43.08
About this product
- DescriptionSonido y sentido lifts the learning of Spanish pronunciation for American English-speaking students to a new level, with support of an accompanying CD. Written in Spanish by a native speaker who is a leading figure in the field of Spanish phology, this introduction to Spanish phonetics and phology will improve both the pronunciation and understanding of spoken Spanish by demonstrating the specific ways in which the sound pattern of Spanish differs from English. Notable in that it explains the why of pronunciation with specific information on how the sounds of Spanish are organized - it also highlights the most important differences among varieties within the Spanish-speaking world. Together, the book and CD emphasize the sounds and sound combinations that are most problematic for English speakers learning Spanish. In addition to a clear theoretical analysis of Spanish phology, Sonido y sentido introduces the fundamental concepts of language, Spanish language, and the teaching and learning of phonetics - Spanish phonetics in particular. Utilizing the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) throughout the text to make for more precise phonetic descriptions, Guitart also discusses the relation between both the physical and psychological aspects of pronunciation. Sonido y sentido contains exercises, both transcription and pronunciation drills, and each chapter concludes with a section, Para pensar , which tests comprehension of the concepts presented. Answers to the Para pensar exercises appear in a separate appendix. A glossary of technical terms, a subject index, and a basic bibliography of Spanish phonetics and phology round out this fresh and rewarding contribution to learning the Spanish language.
- Author BiographyJorge M. Guitart is professor of Spanish linguistics at the State University of New York at Buffalo, and author of El caso gramatical en el espanol en la teoria de los roles semanticos and coauthor of Personajes and Somos Asi.
- Author(s)Jorge M. Guitart
- PublisherGeorgetown University Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2004
- LanguageEnglish & Spanish
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Series TitleGeorgetown Studies in Spanish Linguistics Series
- Place of PublicationWashington, DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorgetown University Press
- Weight635 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and CD-Audio
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.