All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNo stranger to the art of staging and to the act of disclosure, Sophie Caile returns again here to the theme of autobiography and to the tion of the other, revealing in all their difference and singularity those who have been blind since birth or who have gone blind following an accident. By establishing a dialectic between the testimonies of several generations of blind people and the photographs taken by her on the basis on these accounts, Sophie Caile offers readers a reflection on absence, on the loss of one sense and the compensation of ather, on the tion of the visible and the invisible. In this publication, she revisits three earlier works constructed and conceived around the idea ofblindness, setting up a dialogue between them; in Les Aveugles (The Blind) , created in 1986, she questioned blind people on their representation of beauty; in 1991, in La Couleur aveugle (Blind Colour) , she asked n-sighted people what they perceived and compared their descriptions to artists musings on the mochrome; La Derniere Image (The Last Image) , produced in 2010 in Istanbul, historically dubbed the city of the blind, gives a voice to men and women who have lost their sight, questioning them on the last image they can remember, their last memory of the visible world. The work, which is structured as an introspective triptych, uncovers sensibilities, perceptions and events that are painful, sincere. Sophie Calles idea is to underline the permanence and irony of a particular situation, with the aim of redeeming and highlighting the importance of sight.
- Author(s)Sophie Calle
- PublisherActes Sud
- Date of Publication22/10/2012
- Place of PublicationArles
- Country of PublicationFrance
- ImprintActes Sud
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1200 g
- Width213 mm
- Height302 mm
- Spine25 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.95Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.