Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionSophocles' Ajax describes the fall of a mighty warrior denied the hour which he believed was his due. This edition of the play presents a text and critical apparatus which take full advantage of advances in our understanding of Sophoclean manuscripts and scholarship. The introduction and commentary scrutinise all important aspects of the drama - from detailed analysis of style, language, and metre to consideration of wider issues such as ethics, rhetoric, and characterisation. Notorious dramaturgical problems, including the staging of Ajax's suicide, receive particular attention; so too do questions of literary history, such as the date of the play and Sophocles' creative interaction with previous accounts of the myth. The translation which accompanies the commentary ensures that this edition will be accessible to Hellenists of all levels of experience, as well as to readers with a general interest in the history of drama.
- Author BiographyP. J. Finglass teaches Greek and Latin at the University of Nottingham. He has previously published editions of Sophocles' Electra and Pindar's Pythian Eleven in the Cambridge Classical Texts and Commentaries series. His research for this book was funded by an Early Career Fellowship awarded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council. His research for this book was funded by an Early Career Fellowship awarded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/08/2011
- LanguageGreek, Ancient (to 1453)
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Series TitleCambridge Classical Texts and Commentaries
- Series Part/Volume Number48
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 tables
- Weight940 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Edited byP. J. Finglass
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.