All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Soundscapes Classical, twenty works from the Western classical repertoirytwo for each chapter of Soundscapesare approached within the same framework as selections drawn from the other musical traditional in the book. The setting, sound, and significance of each is discussed, allowing the instructor to substitute as many as desired for the case studies in the main text. The works are drawn from all eras, and those chosen for chapters 5-10 fall chrologically into the traditional periods of Western music, medieval through twentieth century. To insure easy access, all of the compositions are contained on the 8-CD set of The Norton Recordings that accompanies The Enjoyment of Music, Eighth Edition.
- Author BiographyKay Kaufman Shelemay (Ph.D., University of Michigan) is G. Gordon Watts Professor of Music at Harvard University and has taught at Columbia, NYU, and Wesleyan. A Fellow of the American Academy of the Arts and Sciences and the American Philosophical Society, she is a Past President of the Society for Ethnomusicology. She has received fellowships from numerous institutions, including the Guggenheim Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities. Shelemay's research interests include musical ethnography, music and memory, and Ethiopian music and musicians in their North American diaspora. She is the author of nine books and editions, including Music, Ritual, and Falasha History, which won the ASCAP-Deems Taylor Award and the Prize of the International Musicological Society. An outstanding teacher, Shelemay received an Award for Distinguished Teaching from the Columbia University School of General Studies in 1982, the Joseph R. Levenson Memorial Teaching Prize and the Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Prize at Harvard in 2006, and, in 2014, the Everett Mendelsohn Excellence in Mentoring Award at Harvard. In 2014, Shelemay was elected an Associate Fellow of the Ethiopian Academy of Sciences.
- Author(s)Kay Kaufman Shelemay
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication19/09/2001
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWW Norton & Co
- Weight160 g
- Width173 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine7 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.