All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawn from Peter H. Lee's Sourcebook of Korean Civilization, Volume I, this abridged introductory collection offers students and general readers primary readings in the social, intellectual, and religious traditions of Korea from ancient times through the sixteenth century. Sources of Korean Tradition is arranged according to the major epochs of Korean history, including sections on: Korean culture - its origins, writing, education, poetry, song, social life, and rituals; religion - the rise of Buddhism and Confucianism; the ecomy - the land, agriculture, commerce, and currency; and its changing political structures. A superb collection by the foremost scholars in the field, Sources of Korean Tradition is supplemented by a bibliography and prefaces by both editors. An impressive storehouse for the grand corpus of thought, beliefs, and customs held by people of Korea for centuries, this volume is a valuable companion for those interested in the history of Korea and East Asian studies.
- Author BiographyPeter H. Lee is Professor of Korean and Comparative Literature in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures at the University of California, Los Angeles, and author of Songs of Flying Dragons: A Critical Reading; A Korean Storyteller's Miscellany; and Pine River and Lone Peak.Wm. Theodore de Bary is John Mitchell Mason Professor Emeritus and Provost Emeritus of Columbia University. He is the compiler of Sources of Chinese Tradition and Sources of Japanese Tradition, and editor of The Rise of Neo-Confucianism in Korea, all published by Columbia University Press.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication31/10/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleIntroduction to Asian Civilizations
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width224 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byHugh H.W. Kang,Peter H. Lee,William Theodore De Bary,Yongho Ch'oe
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.