Southern Excursions: Views on Southern Letters in My Time by George Garrett (Hardback, 2003)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $62.13Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by kamilc1
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFew if any are better endowed than George Garrett to comment on the general and the particular, the long and the short, of southern letters in our time. Garrett - a prolific and internationally rewned author of fiction, poetry, drama, and biography as well as a teacher, editor, critic, and frequent jurist for literary competitions - has been immersed in the writers and literature of his native region for almost a half century. Southern Excursions contains more than fifty of the best essays, reviews, and other short pieces of his career. Without sacrificing reverence for modern masters such as Faulkner, O'Conr, and Welty, Garrett has consistently embraced worthy new artists through the years, deftly and judiciously drawing the line between critical acclaim and popular success. If some of the names of those he champions sound less familiar, Garrett, in these pages, will inspire readers to swift investigation. His charm, wit, and anecdotal style make reading Southern Excursions a delight, and yet there's mistaking his erudition. Wise like a prophet, with a talent scout's enthusiasm, Garrett is t afraid to tell unwelcome truths, covering topics that include southern publishing houses and literary quarterlies, the alliance between writers and academia, the state of criticism and theory, and, most eloquently, the persistence of place, memory, and the Civil War as themes in southern letters. Southern Excursions is a book for the ages, stowing as it does the sage views of one as learned, respected - and modest - in his time as George Garrett.
- Author BiographyGeorge Garrett, the author of the novelsDeath of the Fox andThe King of Babylon Shall Not Come Against You, has written thirty books of fiction, poetry, drama, and criticism and has edited twenty-five more. Among his many honors are the Rome Prize and the Award in Literature from the American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, the T. S. Eliot Award, and the PEN/Malamud Award for Short Fiction. He is Henry Hoyns Professor of Creative Writing, Emeritus, at the University of Virginia and lives in Charlottesville with his wife of fifty years, Susan. James Conrad McKinley is a writer and a former student of George Garrett's. He lives in Morgantown, West Virginia.
- Author(s)George Garrett
- PublisherLouisiana State University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2003
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationBaton Rouge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLouisiana State University Press
- Weight653 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Volume editorJames Conrad Mckinley
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.