All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSometimes, to move forward, we must look back. U.S. involvement in WWI (1917-1919) is vital to understanding and informing our current work in agriculture and food systems. While most are familiar with the Victory Gardens of WWII, few realise that their origins lie in the Liberty Garden programme that enjoyed widespread participation during WWI. This book examines three programmes: the National War Garden Commission, the United States School Garden Army, and the Woman's Land Army (which some women used to press for suffrage). The urgency of wartime mobilisation enabled proponents to promote food production as a vital national security issue. The connection between the nation's food readiness and national security resonated within the context of America's political and cultural life, as the nation struggled to synthesise urban and rural interests, grappled with the nation's plurality and the challenges and opportunities presented by millions of immigrants, and considered the role of America in a global context. Could the same message - that food production is vital to national security - resonate today? These WWI programmes resulted in a national gardening ethos that transformed the American food system for the duration of the war; these historical models may help transform today's food system.
- Author Biography<strong>Rose Hayden-Smith</strong> is a well-known gardening, food systems, and agriculture advisor, advocate, and educator at the local, state and national levels. She uses historical models of food and agriculture policies to inform contemporary public policy and practise. She lives in Ventura, California.
- Author(s)Rose Hayden-Smith
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/05/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.