All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.55
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
About this product
- DescriptionSpace has long been a popular topic in linguistic research. Numerous books on the subject have been published over the past decade. However, ne of these books were based on linguistic data from Chinese and expressions of space in Chinese have been largely neglected in past research. In this volume, t only Mandarin Chinese (the standard language) is investigated; several other dialects, as well as a mirity language of China and Chinese Sign Language are studied. Cross-linguistic, synchronic and diachronic approaches are used to investigate phemena related to space. The authors of this book present different points of view on the expression of space in language and related theoretical issues. As the contributing scholars argue, Chinese shares many common features with other languages, but also presents some particular properties. Space is a topic that is both classical and modern, of enduring interest. These studies of space give insight into t only general linguistics but also other domains such as anthropology and psychology.
- Author BiographyDan Xu is currently Professor of Chinese Linguistics at the Oriental Languages and Civilisations Institute of Paris (INALCO) in France. She graduated with a PhD in linguistics from the Sorbonne University in Paris in 1987, and completed her Habilitation a Diriger des Recherches from INALCO in 1998. She was elected and served as a Dean of the Chinese Department of the INALCO (2001-2004), and president of the Association of Chinese Research and Teaching in France (AREC, 2002-2004). In 2004 she was elected as a board member of the International Association of Chinese Linguistics.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/07/2008
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note18 black & white tables, biography
- Weight576 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edited byDan Xu
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.