All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Russia's annexation of Crimea to China's 'nine-dash line' in the South China Sea, it is clear that territory is as important in international politics w as it has ever been. Yet too few contemporary foreign policy makers, journalists, and scholars are able to speak coherently about territorial issues. Space Is Power: The Seven Rules of Territory challenges the intellectual conceits that human territoriality is merely a social construct, that territorial sovereignty is atavistic, that territorial annexation is always irrational, and that territorial disputes are provoked by foreign policy makers who seek to divert public attention from more important issues. Space Is Power argues that territoriality is too basic to human nature to be denied and territorial sovereignty is too important to the survival of the modern state to be igred. The truths about territory are captured in seven rules, some of which are intuitive while others contradict conventional wisdom. Rather than anticipating the transcendence of the territorial states, this book argues that the unmistakable direction of international politics is toward encompassing ever more physical space as the territory of states.
- Author BiographyJohn Hickman is professor of political science at Berry College.
- Author(s)John Hickman
- PublisherLexington Books
- Date of Publication29/02/2016
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLexington Books
- Content Note4 maps
- Weight499 g
- Width158 mm
- Height237 mm
- Spine21 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.