CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- Description'I am Spartacus' ranks among the most famous lines in Hollywood, with its image of the man's comrades prepared to die in his place in the Kirk Douglas film. And die they did; t the actors but the real army of Spartacus, crucified in their thousands along the Appian Way that leads to Rome. M. J. Trow has w revised his gripping biography, the first to be written in English, of this legend who has become all things to all men. He was the focus of a ballet and an opera. Karl Marx called him 'the finest fellow in ancient history' and a Communist group in 1920s Germany tried to topple the Weimar government in his name. This link to the left made it difficult for Douglas to make the film, but he persevered and created one of Hollywood's greatest epics. The humble slave from Thrace (today's Bulgaria) became a gladiator, led a revolt and took on the greatest military system in history - Rome. The Romans were understandably anxious to air-brush him from history, so hard facts about the man are hard to come by. What we do kw is that he fought t one, but six Roman armies and beat them all before his final defeat. Not many men in history have achieved victories like that.
- Author BiographyM J Trow is a crime writer, historian and biographer who for many years doubled as a history teacher. Now retired, he is the author of three successful crime fiction series - Lestrade, Maxwell and Kit Marlowe, the latest written in collaboration with his wife. He lives in the Isle of Wight, and as well as writing lectures on cruise ships has appeared many times on television in historical and crime documentaries.
- Author(s)M J Trow
- PublisherThistle Publishing
- Date of Publication15/07/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAncient History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThistle Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.