All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $86.07
- AU $18.54Trending at AU $23.02
- AU $29.00Trending at AU $39.16
About this product
- Description'In 2013 Robert Menzies published the award-winning book, Pentecost: This Story is Our Story. Now, in his latest book, Speaking in Tongues, he focuses his theological spotlight on the biblical experience of 'speaking in other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance'. Menzies' thesis is that Jesus and the apostolic Church are models for the contemporary Church. This book is an engaging exposition of a thorny, if t actually contentious issue. It speaks to different readers in different ways. For example, it challenges those who oppose the doctrine and/or experience; it functions as a guide for those who may be confused or bewildered about the experience; and finally, it gives an apologetic foundation for those who are defending both the biblical doctrine and the contemporary experience. Menzies' latest book, Speaking in Tongues, serves the Church well, and is, indeed, a must read.' -Roger Stronstad, Scholar in Residence, Summit Pacific College, Abbotsford, BC, Canada. 'As always, Robert Menzies, one of Pentecostalism's leading scholars, provides careful exegesis, weighing various alternatives and coming to reasoned conclusions, offering fresh insights for all interpreters to consider. His passionate, pastoral concerns mixed with live observations, especially from our brothers and sisters in China, add further to this book's value. Even those who dissent from some of his conclusions should appreciate and learn from his magnificent literary explorations and intriguing proposals. This book should make us all the more grateful for the beautiful, Spirit-led gift of worship in tongues.' -Craig S. Keener, F. M. and Ada Thompson Professor of Biblical Studies, Asbury Theological Seminary. 'Robert Menzies makes a compelling case for the fact that speaking in tongues was well kwn to the original audiences of the New Testament and that the biblical texts written to them w speak to us as an open invitation to experience the Holy Spirit as they did. This book is sure to be a provocative read among lay people and pastors alike.' -Frank D. Macchia, D.Theol., D.D., is Professor of Christian Theology at Vanguard University of Southern California and Associate Director of the Centre for Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies at Bangor University, Wales (UK).
- Author BiographyRobert Menzies completed his PhD studies (New Testament) at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland, under the supervision of I. Howard Marshall in 1989. He has authored numerous books on the work of the Spirit. Dr. Menzies is an adjunct professor at Asia Pacific Theological Seminary in the Philippines. He also established The Asian Center for Pentecostal Theology and serves as the editor of its website (www.pentecost.asia). Dr. Menzies is currently the Director of Synergy, an organization that seeks to enable rural village people in Southwest China to live productive and fruitful lives.
- Author(s)Robert Menzies
- PublisherCPT Press
- Date of Publication10/03/2016
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCPT Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.