All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt last, a parents' guide to understanding, treating, and living with childhood apraxia of speech (CAS). Written in an empathic style by a parent who has been there , this book offers hope and practical advice for parents of toddlers to teens with this neurologically-based motor speech disorder. Characterised by difficulties with planning and producing the complex set of movements necessary for intelligible speech, CAS can be a child's only diagsis or can be accompanied by other special needs such as learning disabilities, Down syndrome, or autism. Parents and professionals will appreciate the author's clear explanations of everything from diagsing CAS and working with speech-language pathologists (SLPs), to understanding how to distinguish it from other speech disorders, and getting appropriate early intervention and special education support. Drawing on the latest research, professionals' insights and her own and other parents' experience, the author covers these important topics: I: The Straight Scoop on Speech Basics -- CAS definition; An Overview of Speech & Language; Where to Get Help and What to Ask; Your First Appointment with an SLP. II: Now What?! -- Getting, Coping with, and Understanding the Diagsis; Health & Genetics; All about Speech Therapy. III: Helping Your Child -- Complementary and Alternative Medical and Treatment Approaches (Diet, Music, Movement Therapy, and More). IV: Off to School -- Getting Ready; Special Education Ins & Outs; Phological Awareness; Reading Issues. V: Coping & Hoping -- Dealing with Emotions and Family Life; What the Future May Hold; Networking, Support Groups, and Advocacy. Appendices: Information on insurance, summer camps and enrichment programs, speech language milestones, and a glossary of terms. This is a comprehensive and authoritative resource any family, SLP, occupational therapist, or paediatric practice will be glad to own or recommend.
- Author BiographyLeslie Lindsay was formerly a Child and Adolescent Psychiatric nurse at the Mayo Clinic. She attended the University of Missouri-Columbia and earned a B.S.N. from the Sinclair School of Nursing with a minor in psychology. She and her family, including a daughter with CAS, live in suburban Chicago. She writes about a range of parenting issues at: leslie4kids.wordpress.com.
- Author(s)Leslie A. Lindsay
- PublisherWoodbine House Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication12/05/2012
- SubjectPregnancy & Parenting
- Place of PublicationBethesda, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWoodbine House Inc.,U.S.
- Weight630 g
- Width255 mm
- Height180 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.74Trending at AU $16.20
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $37.95
- AU $14.06Trending at AU $20.88
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.