All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe introduction looks at Nkanu arts within Central African artistic traditions associated with rites of passage. The introductory essay describes the customs of the Nkanu peoples. The author looks at the artistic and craft traditions of the local artisans and examines the secret language that their masks and sculpture convey. The catalogue section is divided into three sections: Initiation Panels and Freestanding Sculptures, Masks and Head Posts. Each entry is fully illustrated and accompanied by a short description of the history and symbolism attached to each object.
- Author Biography<b>Dr. Annemieke Van Dammen</b> is the first scholar to complete field research of the Nkanu peoples and to study arts associated with Nkanu initiation rituals. Contributor: <b> Dr David A. Binkley</b> is Senior Curator at the National Museum of African Art.
- Author(s)Annemieke Van Damme
- PublisherPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Date of Publication11/02/2002
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPhilip Wilson Publishers Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight512 g
- Width230 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Introduction byDavid A. Binkley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.