All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYitzhak Melamed here offers a new and systematic interpretation of the core of Spiza's metaphysics. In the first part of the book, he proposes a new reading of the metaphysics of substance in Spiza: he argues that for Spiza modes both inhere in and are predicated of God. Using extensive textual evidence, he shows that Spiza considered modes to be God's propria. He goes on to clarify Spiza's understanding of infinity, mereological relations, infinite modes, and the flow of finite things from God's essence. In the second part of the book, Melamed relies on this interpretation of the substance-mode relation and the nature of infinite modes and puts forward two interrelated theses about the structure of the attribute of Thought and its overarching role in Spiza's metaphysics. First, he shows that Spiza had t one, but two independent doctrines of parallelism. Then, in his final main thesis, Melamed argues that, for Spiza, ideas have a multifaceted (in fact, infinitely faceted) structure that allows one and the same idea to represent the infinitely many modes which are parallel to it in the infinitely many attributes. Thought turns out to be coextensive with the whole of nature. Spiza cant embrace an idealist reduction of Extension to Thought because of his commitment to the conceptual separation of the attributes. Yet, within Spiza's metaphysics, Thought clearly has primacy over the other attributes insofar as it is the only attribute which is as elaborate, as complex, and, in some senses, as powerful as God.
- Author BiographyYitzhak Y. Melamed is a Professor in the Philosophy Department at Johns Hopkins University. He works on Early Modern Philosophy, German Idealism, and some issues in contemporary metaphysics (time, mereology, and trope theory).
- Author(s)Yitzhak Y. Melamed
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication23/04/2015
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Notecontains 2 illustrations
- Weight378 g
- Width155 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.46
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.06
- AU $43.72Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.13
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.71
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $48.90
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.26
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.