All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.85Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
About this product
- DescriptionWritten for both tourists and armchair travelers, this reference offers a brief history, photographs, and detailed visitor information for the spookiest old beacons in the United States, most of which are open to the public. From the frequent smell of cigar smoke to pia music heard inside, the pararmal activity revealed to occur in these abandoned lighthouses is simply spine chilling. Some even offer ghost tours and after-hours investigations. The anguished screams of condemned prisoners can still be heard at Execution Rocks Lighthouse in New York, while the spirit of a murdered keeper stilllingers at St. Simon's Lighthouse in Georgia: he climbs the tower stairs every night, still trying to perform his duties. At the Point Lookout Lighthouse in Maryland, thousands of Confederate soldiers died while imprisoned during the Civil War; subsequent investigations have captured 24different voices cursing and moaning on digital recorders. The suicide of alovelorn keeper whose wife ran away with a local ferry captain occupies the New London Ledge Light inConnecticut, while thepararmal activity at Port Boca Grande Light in Florida involves botha pirate and a princess.Ghost and architecturalenthusiasts alike will appreciate reading about these marvelous monuments, including a Victorian mansion light station in the middle of the ocean, the biggest ligh-station complex in the United States, and the tallest lighthouse in Oregon, which is perched precariously on a rocky cliff 205 feetabove sea level.
- Author BiographyTerrance Zepke is a journalist and seasoned world traveler who has studied parapsychology at the acclaimed Rhine Research Center in Durham, North Carolina. She has been featured on many programs on NPR, CNN, the Learning Channel, and the Travel Channel, and in publications, such as the Washington Post and Travel with Rick Steves. She is the author of A Ghost Hunter's Guide to the Most Haunted Places is America and A Ghost Hunter's Guide to the Most Haunted Houses in America. She lives in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
- Author(s)Terrance Zepke
- PublisherSafari Publishing
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPsychic Powers & Parapsychology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSafari Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight195 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.