All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSport psychological training, an important part of athletes' preparation, can give them the final edge in competition. This book provides a systematic structure for conducting sport psychological interventions that can be followed t only by sport psychologists, but also by athletes and coaches. The authors describe sport psychological measures that are based on scientific kwledge and have proven to be valuable in their applied work. The book is divided into two main parts. Part 1 presents the basic structure for sport psychological interventions and Part 2 focuses on concrete interventions and training measures. Part 1 further addresses the importance of personality factors for sports performance, illustrates how an athlete's personality development can be enhanced, gives basic kwledge about diagstic tools, and discusses talent selection. The second part of the book describes basic training, which focuses mainly on relaxation techniques, as well as skills training, essential for the stabilisation of athletic performance. Maintaining a balanced recovery-stress state is particularly important for the avoidance of overtraining. The book illustrates how athletes' stress and recovery levels can be monitored in order to prevent overtraining. Part 2 further addresses how critical situations in an athlete's career (including, for example, conflicts, career termination, and injuries) are to be handled, presenting various impact interventions, including clinical hypsis. The final chapter of the book presents a mental toolbox, giving the practitioner an overview that will help to quickly identify a problem, its possible causes, and solutions.
- Author BiographyJurgen Beckmann, a Full Professor of Sport Psychology at the Technische Universitat Munich, Germany, is a certified coach in a number of different sports. As a sport psychologist, he has been consulted by numerous top athletes and national teams for more than 25 years. Anne-Marie Elbe is an Associate Professor of Sport Psychology at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, and Vice-President of the European Federation of Sport Psychology (FEPSAC). She is a licensed track and field coach and, as a sport psychologist, has been consulted by athletes and coaches in numerous sports for more than 10 years.
- Author(s)Anne-Marie Elbe,Jurgen Beckmann
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight476 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.