Sport and Spirituality: An Introduction by Simon Robinson, Nick Watson, Jim Parry, Mark Nesti (Paperback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $73.05+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $67.43+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionSport science can quantify many aspects of human performance but the spiritual dimensions of sports experience cant be fully understood through measurement. However, the spiritual experience of sport - be it described as 'flow', 'transcendence' or the discovery of meaning and value - is central both to our basic motivation to take part in sports, and to achieving success. Sport and Spirituality: An Introduction explores these human aspects of sports experience through the perspectives of sport psychology, philosophy, ethics, theology and religious studies. It includes discussions of: * Spirituality in the postmodern era * Spirituality, health and well-being * Theistic and atheistic perspectives on sport and the spiritual * Nature and transcendence - the mystical and sublime in outdoor sport * Applied sport psychology and the existential * Spiritual perspectives on pain, suffering and destiny * Sport, the virtues, ethical development and the spirit of the game * The Olympic Games and de Coubertin's ideas of the 'religio athletae'. This groundbreaking text will be a valuable resource for students of sport and exercise studies, sports coaching, physical education and sport and health psychology. This book should be read by all those interested in the preparation, performance and well-being of athletes.
- Author BiographyJim Parry is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at Leeds University. He is former Head of the School of Philosophy at Leeds University and is co-series editor for the Routledge series Ethics and Sport. Simon Robinson is Professor of Applied and Professional Ethics, Leeds Metropolitan University. He is also Hon. Fellow in Theology at the University of Leeds. Simon Robinson is former Anglican Chaplain to the University of Leeds. Nick Watson is Lecturer and Researcher in the School of Sports Science and Psychology, York St John College of the University of Leeds. Dr Mark Nesti is Reader in Sport Psychology at York St John College of the University of Leeds.
- Author(s)Jim Parry,Mark Nesti,Nick Watson,Simon Robinson
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/08/2007
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.