All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a lively cultural history of world sports from antiquity to the present. From ancient Egyptian archery and medieval Japanese football to contemporary American baseball, every sport has been shaped by - and in turn has helped shape - the culture of which it is part. Yet as Allen Guttmann shows in this far-ranging study, for all their differences sports have followed a similar historical trajectory from traditional to modern forms. In Sports: The First Five Millennia , Guttmann traces this evolution across continents, cultures, and historical epochs to construct a single comprehensive narrative of the world's sports.
- Author BiographyALLEN GUTTMANN teaches at Amherst College. Among his many books on the history of sports are From Ritual to Record: The Nature of Modern Sports (1978), Women's Sports: A History (1991), Games and Empires (1994), and The Olympics: A History of the Modern Games (2002).
- Author(s)Allen Guttmann
- PublisherUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Date of Publication11/04/2007
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Massachusetts Press
- Content Note45 illustrations
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.