All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn Spring Poems Along the Rio Grande, Jimmy Santiago Baca continues his daily pilgrimage through the meadows, riverbanks, and bosques of the Rio Grande where winter dies, spring explodes, and inextricable links between the human spirit and the natural world are revealed-- the river and I see through each other's skins / behind the eyes into the tunnels of water-bone and rushing marrow. These poems expand upon those in Baca's recent Winter Poems Along the Rio Grande -- his visions of love and loss, poverty and renewal, redemption and war are reflected in the rocks, trees and animals of his beloved New Mexico. In Spring Poems the words of the river rise around thorny thickets / then descend again into the burbling stubble, and the poet surrenders himself to this place where his own words are woven by a thumbnail-sized yellow spider/ with poppy seed eyes. Born in New Mexico of Chica and Apache descent, Jimmy Santiago Baca was raised first by his grandmother, but was later sent with his brother to an orphanage. A runaway at age thirteen, it was after Baca was sentenced to five years in a Federal prison at the age of twenty-one that he began to turn his life around: there he learned to read and write and found his passion for poetry. His memoir A Place To Stand won the prestigious International Award. He is Champion of the International Poetry Slam and winner of The Before Columbus American Book Award and the Pushcart Prize.
- Author BiographyJimmy Santiago Baca was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in 1952. His parents abandoned him at the age of two, and he lived with his grandmother for several years before being placed in an orphanage. A runaway at age thirteen, Baca was sentenced to five years in a maximum security prison at the age of twenty-one for drug offenses. It was in prison that he learned to read and write and began to compose poetry. His book Martin & Meditations on the South Valley, a pair of long narrative poems, won an American Book Award in 1988. In addition to his poetry collections and stories, Baca wrote the screenplay for the movie Bound by Honor, which was released by Hollywood Pictures in 1993.
- Author(s)Jimmy Santiago Baca
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication30/03/2007
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight110 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine7 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.07
- AU $26.99Trending at AU $29.48
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.