Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
About this product
- DescriptionThe body of the Other - exotic, unfamiliar, fascinating - is the topic of this collection of essays on nineteenth-century British theatre. Arranged chrologically, the volume traces visual representations of the other across the nineteenth century as well as their legacy in contemporary theatrical culture. Essays explore the concept, politics and aesthetic features of the exotic body on stage, be it the actual body of the actor or actress, or the fictional, picturesque bodies brought on stage. Far from focusing exclusively on the subaltern, colonial subject, this volume addresses the Other in its wider meaning, focusing on case studies as famous as Edwin Forrest and Ira Aldridge or as neglected as that of the Maori who appeared on the London stage in the 1860s. Written by an international group of scholars, this collection offers an informed, updated insight into the extensive and multifaceted presence of the n-British in both Georgian and Victorian drama, investigated through new lenses and materials to shed light on the complex engagement of nineteenth-century British culture with alterity.
- Author BiographyTiziana Morosetti is based at the African Studies Centre at the University of Oxford. She studied in Rome and Bologna before moving to Oxford on a Marie Curie Research Fellowship with a project on the representation of the exotic body in nineteenth-century British drama. Her publications have appeared in Research in African Literatures, West Africa Review, West African Theatre and Performing Arts Journal and the Oxford Dictionary of African Biography. She is deputy director of the journal Quaderni del '900, for which she edited numbers IV (Postcolonial Literature in Italian, 2005) and VII (Italy in Anglophone Literatures, 2008). Since 2014 she has been membership secretary of the African Theatre Association (AfTA).
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication26/10/2015
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleWriting and Culture in the Long Nineteenth Century
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2015
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight500 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byTiziana Morosetti
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.