All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIntroduced to Britain from its native China in the nineteenth century, Reeves's muntjac has spent the past hundred years colonising southern and eastern England. Its phemenal success has sometimes brought it into sharp conflict with those who make their living in the countryside, with conservationists and road users alike. As a result, and with natural predators to control their numbers, muntjac must be managed.To the deer stalker this presents a new sporting opportunity, for though they may be the smallest of our deer species, muntjac are netheless a challenging and absorbing quarry to hunt. In this book, Graham Downing has outlined their origin and spread, and explained in detail their natural history before sharing his experiences of muntjac stalking. He covers the pursuit of muntjac on foot, the use of high seats and calls, and even the rare opportunity to stalk barking muntjac by sound alone. For the stalker who is interested in trophies there is advice on the preparation and measuring of heads, while body who enjoys locally sourced food, fresh from the countryside, can fail to be enthused by his tes on muntjac cookery.This is a book about stalking muntjac, but it is also a book designed to improve understanding of this fascinating species and to encourage its responsible and humane management.
- Author BiographyGraham Downing has been a regular contributor of more than 30 years to Shooting Times, The Field, Sporting Gun, Shooting Gazette, Shooting & Conservation and other similar titles. He has detailed practical knowledge of deer and deer stalking issues and was appointed editor of 'Deer', the journal of the British Deer Society, in 2003. His previous Quiller titles include The Deer Stalking Handbook, Practical Woodland Stalking and the Natural History of Deer chapter from Deer: Artists' Impressions.
- Author(s)Graham Downing
- PublisherQuiller Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication24/07/2014
- SubjectFishing, Field Sports & Outdoor Activities
- Place of PublicationShrewsbury
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintQuiller Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteColour photographs throughout
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.