All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionIn the 1950s, Yale University Press published a number of Gertrude Stein's posthumous works, among them her incomparable Stanzas in Meditation. Since that time, scholars have discovered that Stein's poem exists in several versions: a manuscript that Stein wrote and two typescripts that her partner Alice B. Toklas prepared. Toklas's work on the second typescript changed the poem when, enraged upon detecting in it references to a former lover, she t only adjusted the typescript but insisted that Stein make revisions in the original manuscript. This edition of Stanzas in Meditation is the first to confront the complicated story of its composition and revision. Through meticulous archival work, the editors present a reliable reading text of Stein's original manuscript, as well as an appendix with the textual variants among the poem's several versions. This record of Stein's multi-layered revisions enables readers to engage more fully with the author's radically experimental poem and also to detect the literary impact of Stein's relationship with Toklas. The editors' preface and poet Joan Retallack's introduction offer insight into the complexities of reading Stein's poetry and the invative modes of reading that her works require and generate. Students and admirers of Stein will welcome this illuminating new contribution to Stein's oeuvre.
- Author BiographySusannah Hollister is ACLS New Faculty Fellow, University of Texas at Austin. She lives in Austin, TX. Emily Setina is an assistant professor of English at Baylor University. She lives in Waco, TX.
- Author(s)Gertrude Stein
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/01/2012
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note8 black-&-white illustrations in a gallery
- Weight467 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byEmily Setina,Susannah Hollister
- Introduction byJoan Retallack
- Edition StatementThe Corrected Ed.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.