All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStar Mounds is a full-color illustrated study of the precolonial monuments of the greater Ohio Valley, woven together with over fifty medicine stories inspired by Native American mythology that demonstrate the depth of the kwledge held by indigeus peoples about the universe they lived in. The earthworks of the region have long mystified and intrigued scholars, archeologists, and anthropologists with their impressive size and design. The landscape practices of pioneer families destroyed much of them in the 1700s, but, during the first half of the 1800s, some serious mapmaking expeditions were able to record their locations. Utilizing many nineteenth-century maps as a base--including those of the gentlemen explorers Ephraim Squier and Edwin Davis--author Ross Hamilton reveals the meaning and purpose of these antique monuments. Together with these maps, Hamilton applies new theories and geometrical formulas to the earthworks to demonstrate that the Ohio Valley was the setting of a manitou system, an interactive organization of specially shaped villages that was home to a sophisticated society of architects and astromers. The author retells over fifty ancient stories based on Native American myth such as The One-Eyed Man and The Story of How Mischief Became Hare that clearly indicate how kwledgeable the valley's inhabitants were about the constellations and the movement of the stars. Finally, Hamilton relates the spiritual culture of the valley's early inhabitants to a kind of golden age of humanity when people lived in harmony with the Earth and Sky, and looks forward to a time when our own culture can foster a similar spiritual techlogy and life-giving relationship with nature.
- Author BiographyBorn in 1948 on Long Island, New York, Ross Hamilton has lived in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area since the age of seven. Fascinated by American Indian history from childhood, Hamilton has devoted his life to bringing to light the lost history of the North American continent. He has worked with activist Vine Deloria Jr., the former executive director of the National Congress of American Indians; Floyd Red Crow Westerman; and Iroquois chief Jake Swamp. He frequently gives interviews on the subject of the star mounds, most recently on the History Channel show Ancient Aliens (http: //bit.ly/qNVsKE).
- Author(s)Ross Hamilton
- PublisherNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Date of Publication20/06/2012
- SubjectThe Occult & Mythology
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorth Atlantic Books,U.S.
- Content NoteFour Colour Illustrations throughout
- Weight853 g
- Width254 mm
- Height184 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.