All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeflecting the attention from Hollywood, Stars in World Cinema fills an important gap in the study of film by bringing together Star Studies and World Cinema. A team of international scholars here bring their expertise and in-depth kwledge of world cultures and cinema to the study of stars and stardom from six continents, exploring their cultures, their local history and their global relevance. Chapters look at the role of acting, music, singing, painting and martial arts in the making of stars from Australia's indigeus population, Austria, China, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, India, Iran, Japan, North and South Korea, Nigeria, the Philippines, the former Soviet Union, Spain, North and South America. Since the very beginnings of cinema, actors and stars have been central to its history and have been one of the medium's defining characteristics. They have also been fundamental to the marketing of cinema and have played a major part in the reception of films in many cultures. Stars in World Cinema examines stardom and the circulation of stars across borders, analysing how local star systems or n-systems construct stardom around the world. Contributors put into practice their local kwledge of history, language and cultural systems, to consider issues of hybridity, boundary crossing, the mobility of stardom, and embodied spectatorship, in order to further the understanding of stars in light the of recent interest in reception theory.Rooted in a multidisciplinary and polycentric approach, this book throws light on unexpected connections between stars and stardoms from different parts of the world, cutting across chrology, geographies and film history.
- Author BiographyAndrea Bandhauer and Michelle Royer are Senior Lecturers at The University of Sydney (Australia).
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd.
- Date of Publication31/05/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleTauris World Cinema Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note30 bw integrated
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byAndrea Bandhauer,Michelle Royer
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $22.16
- AU $43.35Trending at AU $44.65
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $37.27
- AU $25.64Trending at AU $34.27
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.24
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $79.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.