All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $168.00Trending at AU $183.03
- AU $64.99Trending at AU $70.92
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $12.77
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $25.41
- AU $34.18Trending at AU $36.92
- AU $31.75Trending at AU $37.28
- AU $28.90Trending at AU $35.37
About this product
- Description<i>Starting from Scratch</i> is a food manifesto that helps young readers relate to what they eat, inspiring both budding chefs and budding food lovers in the process. Beginning with an exploration of taste and how it works, author and food activist Sarah Elton explains how ingredients have been on the move for centuries, resulting in the unique fusion of flavors we love today. She breaks down the science of food and cooking into bite-sized and easily digestible pieces of information that cover the chemistry of heat versus cold, fat versus acid, and salt versus sweet. Both practical and philosophical in its approach, <i>Starting from Scratch</i> demystifies food and cooking by boiling it down to the basics. Young chefs learn to make sense of recipes, measure and substitute ingredients, and stock a pantry, and discover that food is more than just a prepackaged meal. Using simple and universal examples, <i>Starting from Scratch</i> inspires children to eat better, try new flavors, and understand what s on their plate. Even reluctant chefs will gain an improved sense of where food comes from and be able to join in on a conversation that continues from snack time to dinnertime.
- Author Biography<b>Sarah Elton</b> is an author and journalist who specializes in food writing. Her books for adults include <i>Consumed: Food for a Finite Planet</i> and <i>Locavore: From Farmer s Fields to Rooftop Gardens, How Canadians are Changing the Way We Eat.</i> A frequent contributor on CBC Radio, she lives in Toronto. <b>Jeff Kulak</b> is an award-winning illustrator and designer with numerous books to his credit, including the <i>Learn to Speak</i> series, for which he won an Alcuin Book Design Award. He lives in Montreal.
- Author(s)Sarah Elton
- PublisherOwlkids Books Inc.
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Place of PublicationToronto, ON
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintOwlkids Books Inc.
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight499 g
- Width193 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Illustrator(s)Jeff Kulak
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.