All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHoma Katouzian offers a groundbreaking theoretical framework for the study of Modern Iranian history. In the model, he proposes, Katouzian identifies a cycle of arbitrary rule leading to chaos, resulting in a further period of arbitrary rule, degenerating once more into chaos, and so on. The ebb and flow between the despotism of Naser al-din Shah, the confusion and turmoil of the Constitutional Revolution and the late Qajar period, the tough one-man-rule of Reza Shah, the ramshackle democracy and vacuum following World War II, the centralism of Mohammed Reza Shah underpinned by SAVAK, the brief flowering of democracy around the Islamic Revolution, only to culminate in the stern arbitrariness of rule guided by the hubris of an Islamic leader (first Khomeini then Khamene'i) - all bear out the author's thesis with uncanny accuracy. State and Society in Iran is crucial reading t only for those interested in the history of modern Iran but also for all students of political science concerned with the developing world.
- Author BiographyHoma Katouzian is a social scientist and Fellow of St Antony's College, Oxford. He is author of Sadeq Hedayat and Musaddiq and the Struggle for Power in Iran (both I.B.Tauris).
- Author(s)Homa Katouzian
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication28/07/2006
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleLibrary of Modern Middle East Studies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 28
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight572 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.67
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.43
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.