All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionBeginning in the 1860s, the Russian Empire replaced a poll tax system that originated with Peter the Great with a modern system of income and excise taxes. Russia began a transformation of state fiscal power that was also underway across Western Europe and North America. States of Obligation is the first sustained study of the Russian taxation system, the first to study its European and transatlantic context, and the first to expose the essential continuities between the fiscal practices of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union. Using a wealth of materials from provincial and local archives across Russia, Yanni Kotsonis examines how taxation was simultaneously a revenue-raising and a state-building tool, a claim on the person and a way to produce a new kind of citizenship. During successive political, wartime, and revolutionary crises between 1855 and 1928, state fiscal power was used to forge social and financial unity and fairness and a direct relationship with individual Russians. State power eventually overwhelmed both the private sector ecomy and the fragile realm of personal privacy. States of Obligation is at once a study in Russian ecomic history and a reflection on the modern state and the modern citizen.
- Author BiographyYanni Kotsonis is an associate professor in the Departments of History and of Russian and Slavic Studies and founding Director of the Jordan Center for the Advanced Study of Russia at New York University.
- PrizesWinner of Association for Slavic, East European,and Eurasian Studies Ed A. Hewett Book Prize 2015 and Canadian Historical Association Wallace K. Ferguson Prize 2015.
- Author(s)Yanni Kotsonis
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication30/09/2014
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note6
- Weight900 g
- Width160 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.