All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSocial media, once heralded as revolutionary and democratic, have instead proved exclusionary and elitist Social media techlogies such as YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook promised a new participatory online culture. Yet, techlogy insider Alice Marwick contends in this insightful book, Web 2.0 only encouraged a preoccupation with status and attention. Her original research-which includes conversations with entrepreneurs, Internet celebrities, and Silicon Valley journalists-explores the culture and ideology of San Francisco's tech community in the period between the dot com boom and the App store, when the city was the world's center of social media development. Marwick argues that early revolutionary goals have failed to materialize: while many continue to view social media as democratic, these techlogies instead turn users into marketers and self-promoters, and leave techlogy companies poised to violate privacy and to prioritize profits over participation. Marwick analyzes status-building techniques-such as self-branding, micro-celebrity, and life-streaming-to show that Web 2.0 did t provide a cultural revolution, but only furthered inequality and reinforced traditional social stratification, demarcated by race, class, and gender.
- Author BiographyAlice E. Marwick is assistant professor, communication and media studies, Fordham University, and the director of the Donald McGannon Communication Research Center. She lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Alice E. Marwick
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication06/02/2015
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illustration
- Weight454 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.26
- AU $17.87Trending at AU $21.24
- AU $37.39Trending at AU $44.49
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.79
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.15
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.20
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $76.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.