All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeople go to extraordinary lengths to gain and defend their status. Those with higher status are listened to more, receive more deference from others, and are perceived as having more power. People with higher status also tend to have better health and longevity. In short, status matters. Despite the importance of status, particularly in the workplace, it has received comparatively little attention from management scholars. It is only relatively recently that they have turned their attention to the powerful role that social status plays in organizations. This book brings together this important work, showing why we should distinguish status from power, hierarchy and work quality. It also shows how a better understanding of status can be used to address problems in a number of different areas, including strategic acquisitions, the development of invations, new venture funding, executive compensation, discrimination, and team diversity effects.
- Author BiographyJone L. Pearce is Dean's Professor of Leadership and Co-director of the Center for Leadership and Team Development at the Paul Merage School of Business, University of California, Irvine. She has published nearly ninety scholarly articles and is the author of four books, including Organization and Management in the Embrace of Government (2001) and Organizational Behavior: Real Research for Real Managers (2009). She is a fellow of the Academy of Management, the International Association of Applied Psychology, the American Psychological Association, and the Association for Psychological Science.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication02/12/2010
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Series TitleCambridge Companions to Management
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note11 b/w illus. 7 tables
- Weight700 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byJone L. Pearce
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.