All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $48.59
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionEarly modern, long-distance trade was fraught with risk and uncertainty, driving merchants to seek means (that is, institutions) to reduce them. In the traditional historiography on Spanish colonial trade, the role of risk is largely igred. Instead, the guild merchants are depicted as anti-competitive mopolists who manipulated markets and exploited colonial consumers. Jeremy Baskes argues that much of the commercial behavior interpreted by modern historians as predatory was instead designed to reduce the uncertainty and risk of Atlantic world trade. This book discusses topics from the development and use of maritime insurance in eighteenth- century Spain to the commercial strategies of Spanish merchants; the traditionally misunderstood effects of the 1778 promulgation of comercio libre, and the financial chaos and bankruptcies that ensued; the ecomic rationale for the Spanish flotillas; and the impact of war and privateering on commerce and business decisions. By elevating risk to the center of focus, this multifaceted study makes a number of revisionist contributions to the late colonial ecomic history of the Spanish empire.
- Author BiographyJeremy Baskes is Professor of History and Director of Latin American Studies at Ohio Wesleyan University. He is the author of Indians, Merchants, and Markets: A Reinterpretation of the Repartimiento and Spanish-Indian Economic Relations in Late Colonial Oaxaca, 1750-1821 (Stanford, 2000).
- Author(s)Jeremy Baskes
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication17/07/2013
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleSocial Science History
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight662 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsCloth
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.