CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- DescriptionThis book looks back to the time when steam locomotives were the dominant form of power on the railways in the North East of England - as they had been for over a century. But in a few short years, this era had been brutally ended - t just on British Railways but on the many private and 'industrial' lines in the area too. Richard Gaunt's evocative photographs bring back the pain of that period, but also the style and the drama from steam's last few years. Shot mainly in the Darlington, Sunderland and Hartlepool areas, they cover t only the glamorous expresses, but the seemingly endless heavy freight and shunting operations seen throughout the region and too often overlooked. This book will bring back powerful memories for those who kw the area around this time, but also appeal to readers with more general interests in railway matters - and those who simply enjoy dramatic photographs of industrial scenes.
- Author BiographyRichard Gaunt was born in Lancashire but grew up in Darlington, attending QEGS Darlington, then Corpus Christi College Cambridge. His career has included posts in the chemicals, steel, construction, local government and consultancy industries - most recently as a director of a policy research consultancy. He started taking an interest in railways at an early age, and is an accomplished photographer with work appearing in The Guardian, Steam Railway and elsewhere.
- Author(s)Richard Gaunt
- PublisherFonthill Media
- Date of Publication24/10/2012
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Place of PublicationToadsmoor Road
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFonthill Media
- Content Note250 black and white photographs
- Weight600 g
- Width215 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.