All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith the overwhelming amount of new information that bombards us each day, it is perhaps difficult to imagine a time when the widespread availability of the printed word was a velty. In early nineteenth-century Britain, print was t vel - Gutenberg's printing press had been around for nearly four centuries - but printed matter was still a rare and relatively expensive luxury. All this changed, however, as publishers began employing new techlogies to astounding effect, producing cheap instructive texts and revolutionizing how kwledge was disseminated to the masses. In Steam-Powered Kwledge , Aileen Fyfe explores the activities of William Chambers and the W. & R. Chambers publishing firm during its formative years, documenting for the first time how new techlogies - t just in communication, but also in transportation - were integrated into existing business systems. Fyfe follows Chambers' journey from small-time bookseller and self-trained hand-press printer to wealthy and successful publisher of popular educational books on both sides of the Atlantic, demonstrating along the way the profound effects of his and his fellow publishers' willingness, or unwillingness, to incorporate these invations into their businesses.
- Author BiographyAileen Fyfe is a lecturer in modern British history at the University of St Andrews, UK. She is the author of Science and Salvation and coeditor of Science in the Marketplace, both published by the University of Chicago Press, and the editor of Science for Children.
- Author(s)Aileen Fyfe
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication10/02/2012
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note19 halftones
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.