Save on Fiction Books
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $103.28
- AU $67.16Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $22.57
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.39
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $27.86Trending at AU $29.04
- AU $15.63Trending at AU $22.18
About this product
- DescriptionStella Fregelius - A Tale of Three Destinies - H. Rider Haggard - World Classics. This supernatural love story features a device that induces telepathy between sympathetic parties and ultimately leads to communication with the dead. The author feels that he owes some apology to his readers for his boldness in offering to them a modest story which is in sense a romance of the character that perhaps they expect from him; which has, moreover, few exciting incidents and climax of the accustomed order, since the end of it only indicates its real beginning. His excuse must be that, in the first instance, he wrote it purely to please himself and w publishes it in the hope that it may please some others. The problem of such a conflict, common eugh mayhap did we but kw it, between a departed and a present personality, of which the battle-ground is a bereaved human heart and the prize its complete possession; between earthly duty and spiritual desire also; was one that had long attracted him. Finding at length a few months of leisure, he treated the difficult theme, t indeed as he would have wished to do, but as best he could. He may explain further that when he drafted this book, w some five years ago, instruments of the nature of the aerophone were t so much talked of as they are to-day. In fact this aerophone has little to do with his characters or their history, and the main motive of its introduction to his pages was to suggest how powerless are all such material means to bring within mortal reach the transcendental and unearthly ends which, with their aid, were attempted by Morris Monk. These, as that dreamer learned, must be far otherwise obtained, whether in truth and spirit, or perchance, in visions only.
- Author(s)Sir H Rider Haggard
- Date of Publication07/02/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRomance & Sagas
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.