All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $63.56Trending at AU $66.39
- AU $79.36Trending at AU $80.88
- AU $60.00Trending at AU $71.41
- AU $30.93Trending at AU $31.83
- AU $26.72Trending at AU $31.83
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $53.63
- AU $22.68Trending at AU $25.27
About this product
- DescriptionHistorical fiction at an easy level is hard to find, and this pioneerstory, narrated by 10-year-old Libby Mitchell on her journey from Virginia toMichigan in 1837, is smoothly written and appealing. The wagon trail is teasy, and Whelan is careful to include a taste of the hardships. She's alsocareful in her presentation of the Potawatomi Indians, who figure in the storywhen the Mitchells nurse one of their own children back to health. The story, though brief, is well developed. -- Bulletin, Center for Children's Books.
- Author BiographyGloria and her husband Joseph moved from Detroit to the woods of northern Michigan several years ago. Many of Gloria's books take place during the summer -- because she does a lot of her writing during the northern Michigan blizzards! Gloria has been telling stories for as long as she can remember. Before she could read or write, she used to dictate stories to her baby-sitter, who would type them out. Being an only child, many of Gloria's stories were about having a brother or sister. Gloria would like to have written Little Women, because Jo March was one of her role models growing up! Gloria once had a set of five wtching guinea pigs, all named after Detroit Tiger baseball players!
- Author(s)Gloria Whelan
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication01/08/1989
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitleA Stepping stone book
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House USA Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight74 g
- Width133 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Illustrator(s)Pamela Johnson
- Reading AgeFrom 2 to 12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.