All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRiffling through the wardrobes of years gone by, costume historian Lucy Adlington reveals the rich stories underlying the clothes we wear in this stylish tour of the most important developments in the history of fashion, from ancient times to the present day. Starting with underwear - did you kw Elizabeth I owned just one pair of drawers, worn only after her death - she moves garment by garment through Western attire, exploring both the items we still wear every day and those that have gone the way of the dodo (sugared petticoats, farthingales and spatter dashers to name but a few). Beautifully illustrated throughout, and crammed with fascinating and eminently quotable facts, Stitches in Time shows how the way we dress is inextricably bound up with considerations of aesthetics, sex, gender, class and lifestyle - and offers us the chance to truly appreciate the extraordinary qualities of these, our most ordinary possessions.
- Author BiographyLucy Adlington took an English degree from the University of Cambridge and an MA in Medieval Studies from the University of York. After many years running unique hands-on history workshops and presentations for museums, schools and heritage sites, Lucy now specialises in costume history, with a passion for the early twentieth century. She collects nineteenth- and twentieth-century costume. Her ambition is to own an eighteenth-century gown of Spitalfields silk. She runs the popular 'History Wardrobe' series of talks - delightful costume-in-context presentations, all featuring original garments and accessories. Lucy's costume history books, Great War Fashion and Fashion: Women in World War One, are rich with unique images and anecdotes. Lucy also writes history-inspired novels for young adults. Her first five novels, including the award-winning Diary of Pelly D, Carnegie-nominated Burning Mountain and the exciting new Night Witches, are published by Hodder Children's Books.
- Author(s)Lucy Adlington
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRandom House Books
- Weight336 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.