Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $34.64Trending at AU $35.22
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the essential new introduction to modern string theory, by one of the world's authorities on the subject. Concise, clearly presented, and up-to-date, String Theory in a Nutshell brings together the best understood and most important aspects of a theory that has been evolving since the early 1980s. A core model of physics that substitutes one-dimensional extended strings for zero-dimensional point-like particles (as in quantum field theory), string theory has been the leading candidate for a theory that would successfully unify all fundamental forces of nature, including gravity. Starting with the basic definitions of the theory, Elias Kiritsis guides readers through classic and modern topics. In particular, he treats perturbative string theory and its Conformal Field Theory (CFT) tools in detail while also developing nperturbative aspects and exploring the unity of string interactions. He presents recent topics including black holes, their microscopic entropy, and the AdS/CFT correspondence. He also describes matrix model tools for string theory. In all, the book contains nearly five hundred exercises for the graduate-level student, and works as a self-contained and detailed guide to the literature. String Theory in a Nutshell is the staple one-volume reference on the subject t only for students and researchers of theoretical high-energy physics, but also for mathematicians and physicists specializing in theoretical cosmology and QCD.
- Author BiographyElias Kiritsis is Directeur de Recherche at the CNRS, affiliated with the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris, and Professor of Physics at the University of Crete.
- Author(s)Elias Kiritsis
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication19/03/2007
- Series TitleIn a Nutshell S.
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note18 halftones. 44 line illus. 7 tables.
- Weight1428 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine37 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.