Stripped: The Bare Reality of Lap Dancing by Jennifer Hayashi Danns, Sandrine Leveque (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.26Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIs lap dancing harmless fun, providing entertainment for men and well-paid, self-empowering work for women? The lap dancing industry has long argued that it offers an everyday service within free market guidelines, but in 2010 the UK government legislated that lap dancing venues in the UK should be classed as 'sex establishments'. So, are lap dancers sex workers rather than exotic dancers? What attracts so many women to work within the industry? Are women being sexually exploited and their bodies used as objects for male gratification? Media depictions of lap dancers often fall prey to caricatured and stereotypical images. Having worked as a lap dancer herself, Jennifer Hayashi Danns kws about the industry from direct experience. In Stripped she tells her story, and gives a voice to many others who have either worked in the clubs or been directly affected by what goes on in them. In sometimes raw, direct language, the various contributors express their kwledge of the lap dancing industry and the impact it has had on their lives. These compelling narratives give dramatic perspectives into a secretive and largely undisclosed world, peeling away some of the gloss on the surface, and revealing the often seedy and desperate reality of the lap dancing industry. The second part of the book offers insightful commentary, analysis and solutions.
- Author BiographyJENNIFER HAYASHI DANNS was born and raised in Liverpool. Whilst studying for a BA (Hons) degree in Marketing at the University of Liverpool, she spent two years working in the lap dancing industry. Jennifer worked as a Marketing Planner for a Times 100 Best Small Company. She is passionate about women's rights and, as a Nichiren Buddhist, believes that every human life is precious. She lives in Richmond, Surrey, with her husband Hiro. SANDRINE LEVEQUE worked as Campaign Manager on OBJECT's 'Stripping the Illusion' campaign between 2007 and 2010, which concluded successfully with the British Government's passing of legislation that gave councils greater control over the lap dancing industry. She now lives in France and runs her own business, Groova, a movement, music and well-being brand.
- Author(s)Jennifer Hayashi Danns,Sandrine Leveque
- PublisherClairview Books
- Date of Publication17/10/2011
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationForest Row
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintClairview Books
- Weight227 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.81Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.