All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis classic guide to Istanbul by Hilary Summer-Boyd and John Freely - the 'best travel guide to Istanbul' ( The Times ), 'a guide book that reads like a vel' ( New York Times ) - is here, for the first time since its original publication thirty-seven years ago, published in a completely revised and updated new edition. Taking the reader on foot through this captivating city - European City of Culture 2010 - the authors describe the historic monuments and sites of what was once Constantiple and the capital in turn of the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires, in the context of the great living city. Woven throughout are vivid anecdotes, secret histories, hidden gems and every major place of interest the traveler will want to see. Practical and informative, readable and vividly described, this is the definitive guide to and story of Istanbul, by those who kw it best.
- Author BiographyThe late Hilary Summer-Boyd was professor of humanities at Robert-College-Bosphorus University. His magisterial work, The Seven Hills of Constantinople: A Study of the Byzantine and Turkish Monuments of the City, was unpublished at the time of his death in 1977 and is now being prepared for publication by Bosphorus University Press. John Freely was born in New York and joined the US Navy at the age of seventeen for the last two years of World War II. He has lived in New York, Boston, London, Athens and Istanbul and has written over forty travel books and guides, most of them about Greece and Turkey. He is author of The Grand Turk, Storm on Horseback, The Cyclades, The lonian Islands (all I.B.Tauris), Crete, The Western Shores of Turkey, Strolling through Athens and Strolling through Venice (all Tauris Parke Paperbacks). He is currently professor of physics at Bosphorus University in Istanbul.
- Author(s)Hilary Sumner-Boyd,John Freely
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2009
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Series TitleStrolling Through
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTauris Parke Paperbacks
- Content Note19 maps, 27 plans, 8pp colour plates
- Weight472 g
- Width128 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.