All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $102.82
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $57.63Trending at AU $60.49
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
About this product
- DescriptionAs software skills rise to the forefront of design concerns, the art of structural conceptualization is often minimized. Structural engineering, however, requires the marriage of artistic and intuitive designs with mathematical accuracy and detail. Computer analysis works to solidify and extend the creative idea or concept that might have started out as a sketch on the back of an envelope. From Sketches on the Back of an Envelope to Elegant, Ecomical Buildings-The Art of Structural Conceptualization Bridging the gap between the conceptual approach and computer analysis, Structural Analysis and Design of Tall Buildings: Steel and Composite Construction integrates the design aspects of steel and composite buildings in one volume. Using conceptual thinking and basic strength of material concepts as foundations, the book shows engineers how to use imperfect information to estimate the answer to larger and more complex design problems by breaking them down into more manageable pieces. Written by an accomplished structural engineer, this book discusses the behavior and design of lateral load-resisting systems; the gravity design of steel and composite floors and columns; and methods for determining wind loads. It also examines the behavior and design of buildings subject to inelastic cyclic deformation during large earthquakes-with an emphasis on visual and descriptive analysis-as well as the anatomy of seismic provisions and the rehabilitation of seismically vulnerable steel buildings. Intuitive Techniques for Construction and Design The book covers a range of special topics, including performance-based design and human tolerance for the wind-induced dynamic motions of tall buildings. It also presents preliminary analysis techniques, graphical approaches for determining wind and seismic loads, and graphical aids for estimating unit-quantity of structural steel. The final chapter deals with the art of connection design. Forty case studies-from New York's Empire State Building to Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers-highlight the aspects of conceptualization that are key in the design of tall and ultra-tall buildings. A comprehensive design reference, this book guides engineers to visualize, conceptualize, and realize structural systems for tall buildings that are elegant and ecomical.
- Author BiographyDr. Bungale S. Taranath, PhD, PE, SE, is a corporate consultant to DeSimone Consulting Engineers, a consulting firm, with offices in New York, Miami, San Francisco, New Haven, Las Vegas, Hong Kong, and Abu Dhabi. He has extensive experience in the design of concrete, steel, and composite tall buildings and has served as principal-in-charge for many notable high-rise buildings. Dr. Taranath is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and the Concrete Institute, and a registered structural and professional engineer in several states. He has conducted research into the behavior of tall buildings and shear wall structures and is the author of a number of published papers on torsion analysis and multistory construction projects. He has published four books: Structural Analysis and Design of Tall Buildings: Steel and Composite Construction; Steel, Concrete, and Composite Design of Tall Buildings; Wind and Earthquake Resistant Buildings: Structural Analysis and Design; and Reinforced Concrete Design of Tall Buildings. Three of his books were translated into Chinese and Korean and are widely referenced throughout Asia. Dr. Taranath has conducted seminars on tall-building design in the United States, China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, India, and England. Dr. Taranath's passion for tall buildings has never waned. Today, his greatest joy is sharing that enthusiasm with owners, architects, and fellow structural engineers to develop imaginative solutions for seemingly impossible structures.
- Author(s)Bungale S. Taranath
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication24/10/2011
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note514 black & white illustrations, 34 black & white tables, 74 colour tables
- Weight1474 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.