All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA leading example of a resurgent Latin American cinema -- 'la buena onda' -- in the early twenty-first century, City of God was a huge international popular and critical success. A combination of intoxicating, Hollywood-style genre film-making and hard-hitting, social-realist subject matter it was hailed as a masterpiece at Cannes in 2002 and seen by over 3 million people in Brazil, including the Brazilian cabinet. In Studying City of God, Stephanie Muir considers: The historical and industrial context of City of God -- a brief history of Latin American cinema is followed by a more detailed account of film-making in Brazil -- from light-hearted travelogues to Cinema Novo and after -- all in the context of increasing globalisation; Narrative and Genre -- how the film uses the components of narrative in a complex way, ex-perimentally manipulating time while using traditional genre conventions that are highly recognisable to mainstream audiences; Film language -- the formal elements of the film are dissected through a detailed illustrated analysis of the kinetic, scene setting opening sequence; Audience responses -- from establishment critical reaction to fan-based Internet sites and student feedback; Representation and Ideology -- just how 'authentic' can a film such as City of God hope to be? Does its style overwhelm its subject matter?
- Author BiographyStephanie Muir is course coordinator of Film Studies at Richmond upon Thames College, Twickenham. She is an examiner and moderator for both AS and A2 WJEC Film Studies.
- Author(s)Stephanie Muir
- PublisherAuteur Publishing
- Date of Publication30/05/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLeighton Buzzard
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAuteur Publishing
- Content Note12 b& w
- Weight300 g
- Width127 mm
- Height191 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.46
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.