All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1972 Bernadette Mayer began this project as an aid to psychological counseling, writing in parallel journals so that, as she wrote in one (in bed, on subways, at parties, etc.), her psychiatrist read the other. Using colored pens to color-code emotions, she recorded dreams, events, memories, and reflections in a language at once free-ranging and precise-a work that creates its own poetics. She sought a workable code, or shorthand, for the transcription of every event, every motion, every transition of her own mind and to perform this process of translation on herself in the interest of evolving an invative, inquiring language. STUDYING HUNGER JOURNALS registers this intention within a body of poetry John Ashbery has called magnificent. Made public at last in its gorgeous various and unstinting entirety, STUDYING HUNGER JOURNALS reveals itself to be one of the great in fact epic works of a movement that could never be given a name. No label fit for such limitless activity, its terms being those of our restless language and its relentless go-betweens that move and may alter. Attend therefore and let them have their way, these words given without let and best received in kind. -Clark Coolidge
- Author(s)Bernadette Mayer
- PublisherBarrytown Ltd ,U.S.
- Date of Publication28/03/2011
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBarrytown Ltd ,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight679 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.