All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the sky-high coiffures of Georgian Britain to the languid silhouette of 1920s 'flappers', Style and Satire tells the story of European fashion and its most fantastical trends from two interrelated perspectives - the lavish, celebratory fashion plate, and the gloriously irreverent satirical print. Beautifully printed, hand-coloured fashion plates depicting the latest styles and fabrics first appeared in Britain and France in the late 1700s - nestled in luxurious periodicals and available for sale as desirable objects in their own right. At the same time (and often by the same artists), satirical prints gloried in the absurdities of fashion, presenting an alternative, often grotesque, vision of the fashionable ideal. Presented here as a joint history for the first time, the two genres describe an emerging, vibrant fashion culture. They themselves also evolved as art forms, first through the pages of the mass-produced Victorian periodical, and then as vibrant, stencilled images in the luxurious publications of the 1920s and '30s. Lavishly illustrated and rigorously researched, Style and Satire presents a fresh and original history of fashion - a vital and witty addition to every fashion victim's library.
- Author BiographyCatherine Flood is a Prints Curator in the Word and Image Department at the V&A, specializing in posters, graphics and ephemeral print. She is author of British Posters: Advertising, Art & Activism (V&A, 2012) and has curated exhibitions and displays on propaganda posters, Victorian sentimentality and fashion satire. Sarah Grant is a curator in the Word and Image Department at the V&A. She has published on eighteenth-century prints, designs, textiles and miniatures and is author of Toiles de Jouy: French Printed Cottons 1760-1830 (V&A, 2010). She co-curated, with Catherine Flood, the V&A display Fashion Fantasies (2012).
- Author(s)Catherine Flood,Sarah Grant
- PublisherV & A Publishing
- Date of Publication01/09/2014
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintV & A Publishing
- Content Note30 col, 14 b&W
- Weight318 g
- Width210 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.31Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $31.02
- AU $70.08Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $74.33Trending at AU $76.94
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $27.17Trending at AU $37.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.