All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMany people form a strong connection with wild and remote places. Macquarie Island is such a place. Halfway between Australia and Antarctica, this tiny speck of land in the middle of the Southern Ocean is one of the most remote landmasses on Earth. An Australian World Heritage Area, the island is geologically unique and the plants that live there are found in very few other parts of the world. It is also home to a fantastic and diverse array of wildlife. During the summer months, penguins, seals, albatrosses and other petrels come ashore in vast numbers.For the first 100 years following its accidental discovery in 1810, the humans living there heavily exploited the island and its natural wildlife resources. In 1933, the natural value of the island was recognized and it was declared a wildlife sanctuary. Since 1948, it has also been the site of a permanently populated research station. Today, the island is again a subantarctic wildlife haven.Beautifully illustrated by the photography of Aleks Terauds and the artwork of Fiona Stewart, this book covers all the aspects of Macquarie Island from its rich history to life on the island today, the geology and the plants and, of course, the wildlife that lives there.
- Author BiographyDR ALEKS TERAUDS began working on Macquarie Island in 1996, as part of a research program studying albatrosses. Over the following twelve years Aleks' passion for the island has developed and he has spent over four years living in this subantarctic wilderness to study sea birds.
- Author(s)Aleks Terauds,Fiona Stewart
- PublisherAllen & Unwin
- Date of Publication01/06/2008
- SubjectNatural History: General
- Place of PublicationSt Leonards NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2008
- ImprintAllen & Unwin
- Content Noteover 185 full-colour photos & illustrations
- Weight1209 g
- Width250 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Interest AgeFrom
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.