All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on recent theoretical developments in second language acquisition, this book proposes a new approach to the learning of foreign languages through subtitled audiovisual input. Subtitled text is explored as a source of language acquisition, and its dialogue and subtitle components are focused on as sources of linguistic input. The primary focus of the research is subtitling and the impact it can have on learners' ticing and acquisition of linguistic structures. The concept of translational salience is introduced, a phemen that can occur due to an accentuated contrast between L2 dialogue and L1 subtitles. Two experimental studies on the acquisition of English syntax by Italian learners are used to test the role of translational salience in both ticing and L2 learning. The results lead to a definition of salience particular to the audiovisual medium and raise challenging issues in the pedagogic applications of subtitling.
- Author BiographyElisa Ghia received her PhD in Linguistics from the University of Pavia, Italy. She is currently a lecturer in English at the University of Pavia and the University of Milan, Italy. Her research interests include audiovisual translation, second language acquisition and the study of spoken English.
- Author(s)Elisa Ghia
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication30/10/2012
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Series TitleNew Trends in Translation Studies
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight330 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.95
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.19Trending at AU $38.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.