Subtle is the Lord: The Science and the Life of Albert Einstein by Abraham Pais (Paperback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $53.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSubtle is the Lord is widely recognized as the definitive scientific biography of Albert Einstein. The late Abraham Pais was a distinguished physicist turned historian who knew Einstein both professionally and personally in the last years of his life. His biography combines a profound understanding of Einstein's work with personal recollections from their years of acquaintance, illuminating the man through the development of his scientific thought. Pais examines the formulation of Einstein's theories of relativity, his work on Brownian motion, and his response to quantum theory with authority and precision. The profound transformation Einstein's ideas effected on the physics of the turn of the century is here laid out for the serious reader. Pais also fills many gaps in what we kw of Einstein's life - his interest in philosophy, his concern with Jewish destiny, and his opinions of great figures from Newton to Freud. This remarkable volume, written by a physicist who mingled in Einstein's scientific circle, forms a timeless and classic biography of the towering figure of twentieth-century science.
- Author BiographyAbraham Pais (1918-2000) was an award-winning physicist and biographer. Gaining his PhD from Utrecht, he went on to work closely with Niels Bohr in Copenhagen before joining the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, and leading the Theoretical Physics Group at Rockefeller University. His work brought him into close professional, and personal, contact with the 20th century's leading physicists - Dirac, Pauli, Gell-Man, and Einstein. He retired in 1978 to write widely respected scientific biographies, and was awarded the Oppenheimer Prize in 1979.
- Author(s)Abraham Pais
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication25/08/2005
- SubjectBiography: Science, Technology & Medical
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note8 pp halftone plates
- Weight838 g
- Width157 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.