All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMichael is a young man who has succeeded in managing his autism and is experiencing success in life despite a diagsis that might have predicted only disability and despair. He did t talk in early childhood and displayed the classic traits of a severely autistic child, but he has broken out of his silence to help others to learn from his insights and experiences. An explosion of newly diagsed cases of autism has resulted in a keen interest in the stories of autistic individuals, and many people are touched by kwing a family with an autistic child. This unique book reveals a silent world through the voice of an insightful, articulate young adult with autism. The book also gives perspectives from Michael's family, friends and the professionals who have kwn him from diagsis in early childhood through to adult, independent life. After each chapter, the author presents reflections that highlight the key issues pertinent to autism and the relevant stage of development. Michael's story is poignant and moving, and provides information and hope to families of autistic individuals and the professionals who work with them.
- Author BiographyJudith H. Cohen is a Full Professor of Education at Adelphi University, New York. She holds a Ph.D. in Literacy Education with a specialization in special education. Dr. Cohen is also an attorney in New York State and works as a child advocate in both school districts and the courts. She is a published author of many articles, curriculum materials and textbooks, and has been a well respected teacher and educator for over 30 years. She has devoted her life to both advocating for and educating children and their teachers. Dr. Cohen met Michael when he entered the teacher education program she coordinated at the University and has been a friend of his and his family since that time.
- Author(s)Judith H. Cohen
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication29/03/2005
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Foreword byTemple Grandin
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.34
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $59.37
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.71
- AU $30.15Trending at AU $32.66
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.92
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.