All listings for this product
About this product
- Description<i>The Ghosts of Our Meat</i> examines a series of paintings, prints and drawings by artist/activist Sue Coe that criticize the practice of meat consumption and the capitalist slaughterhouse industry, while advocating animal rights and a sustainable, n-meat diet. Coe's work centers on such issues as animal rights, empathy, cruelty, corporate greed and consumer guilt. Discussing her works in an accompanying essay, Stephen Eisenman demonstrates connections between Coe's work and that of Romantics and Expressionists, inviting comparisons with paintings by artists such as Hogarth, Goya, Grosz, Dix, Shahn, Picasso and Golub. However, while these artists focused largely on man's inhumanity towards fellow man, Sue Coe broadens the perspective to include atrocities committed by man against fellow animals. Indeed, many of Coe's works reference the style and imagery of Weimar-era art, drawing uncomfortable and controversial comparisons between the slaughterhouses of the meat industry and those of the Holocaust.
- Author(s)Stephen F. Eisenmann
- PublisherThe Trout Gallery
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationCarlisle
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Trout Gallery
- Weight748 g
- Width260 mm
- Height270 mm
- Spine13 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.